The IHSAA released a statement today concerning school sponsored activities – contests, conditioning, weight lifting and other associated activities.
IHSAA Statement on Remainder of During the School Year Out of Season Activities and the Beginning of Summer.
Recently, Dr. Jennifer McCormick, State Superintendent of Public Instruction clarified the school closure order which ends on June 30, 2020. June 30th is the end of the traditionally defined school year in our state; therefore, school buildings are to remain closed through June 30, 2020. In light of this directive, the Indiana High School Athletic Association is hereby suspending any school sponsored athletic activities through June 30, 2020. School sponsored activities are any school authorized activities directed, observed or instructed by the school’s coaching staff regardless of the location. This includes any conditioning, skills development and associated activities through the end of June. Conditioning and During the School Year activities may only occur in or on school property, subsequently, these activities are hereby suspended. Question 15-56 of the IHSAA by-laws provides the following:
- 15-56 Can a School have a Summer Open Facility session “off-campus”, or at a location which is not owned by or officially controlled by the School?
- No, like a Limited Contact Program, a Summer Open Facility Program must be conducted on campus or at a site where home Contests are regularly held. For example, a School cannot conduct a Summer Open Facility session at the local batting cage for its students wishing to work on their baseball skills but could hold Summer Open Facility session at a municipal field if that is where the School regularly held its home Contests.
Provided there are no adjustments to Governor Eric Holcomb’s announced plans to re-open the State of Indiana, school sponsored summer activities may resume on July 1, 2020.
Rule 15-3.4 of the IHSAA by-laws provides that a moratorium week shall be observed on the Monday through Sunday which includes July 4th. July 1, 2020 would normally fall during the prescribed moratorium week. In light of the amount of time students have been restricted from school and contact with their teammates and coaches, the Association is hereby waiving Rule 15-3.4 for the year 2020. Therefore; contact with students under the provisions of Rule 15-3 may occur beginning on Wednesday, July 1, 2020 and continue through Saturday of Week 4 of the IHSAA calendar which is August 1, 2020.
Pertinent points of which to be aware:
- Participation and attendance at summer activities are optional.
- You must have a completed physical on file and up to date paperwork completed BEFORE you will be allowed to participate. (Physicals from the 2019-2020 school year are VALID – BUT you must have completed Final Forms paperwork to be up to date and legal to participate.
- If your family has scheduled a vacation for this time period – take it.
- The FIRST official practice date for Fall Sports (at this time):
- Girls Golf – July 31
- High School Cross Country, High School Football, High School Volleyball – August 3
Further information, conditioning schedules, times, etc., will be posted as it is made available.